(1) Subject to the provisions of section 93 and any rules made thereunder, the Commissioner may on his own motion or upon information received by him, call for and examine the record of any proceeding under this Act, and if he considers that any decision or order passed under this Act by any officer subordinate to him is erroneous in so far as it is prejudicial to the interest of the revenue, he may, if necessary, stay the operation of such decision or order for such period as he deems fit and after giving the person concerned an opportunity of being heard and after making such further inquiry as may be necessary, pass such order, as he thinks just and proper, including enhancing or modifying or annulling the said decision or order.
(2) The Commissioner shall not exercise any power under sub-section (1), if.-
(a) the order has been subject to an appeal under section 79 or under section 82 or under section 87 or under section 88; or
(b) more than three years have expired after the passing of the decision or order sought to be revised.
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (2), the Commissioner may pass an order under sub-section (1) on any point which has not been raised and decided in an appeal referred to in clause (a) of sub-section (2), before the expiry of a period of one year from the date of the order in such appeal or before the expiry of a period of three years referred to in clause (b) of that sub-section, whichever is later.
(4) Every order passed in revision under sub-section (1) shall, subject to the provisions of sections 83, 87 or 88, be final.
(5) If the decision or order passed under this Act by an officer subordinate to the Commissioner involves an issue on which the Appellate Tribunal or the High Court has given its decision which is prejudicial to the interest of revenue in some other proceedings and an appeal to the High Court or the Supreme Court against such decision of the Appellate Tribunal or as the case may be, the High Court is pending, the period spent between the date of the decision of the Appellate Tribunal and the date of the decision of the High Court or as the case may be, the date of the decision of the High Court and the date of the decision of the Supreme Court shall be excluded in computing the period referred to in clause (b) of sub-section (2).
(6) Where the issuance of an order under sub-section (1) is stayed by the order of a Court or Tribunal, the period of such stay shall be excluded in computing the period of three years under sub-section (2).
(7) For the purposes of this section, ‘record’ shall include all records relating to any proceedings under this Act available at the time of examination by the Commissioner.
(8) For the purposes of this section, ‘decision’ shall include intimation given by any officer subordinate to the Commissioner.