The basic objectives of setting up of the Settlement Commission are:-
- To provide an alternate channel for dispute resolution for the taxpayer;
- To expedite payment of GST involved in disputes by avoiding costly and time consuming litigation process;
- To provide an opportunity to tax payers to come clean who may have evaded payment of tax;
- To serve as a forum for the taxpayer to apply for settlement of their cases, on the basis of true and complete disclosure of their tax liability;
- To encourage quick settlement of disputes and save the business from the worries of prosecution in certain situations.