(1) The details of every inward supply furnished by a taxable person (hereinafter referred to in this section as the ‘recipient’) for a tax period shall, in the manner and within the time prescribed, be matched
(a) with the corresponding details of outward supply furnished by the corresponding taxable person (hereinafter referred to in this section as the ‘supplier’) in his valid return for the same tax period or any preceding tax period,
(b) with the additional duty of customs paid under section 3 of the Customs Tariff Act, 1975 (51 of 1975) in respect of goods imported by him, and
(c) for duplication of claims of input tax credit.
(2) The claim of input tax credit in respect of invoices and/or debit notes relating to inward supply that match with the details of corresponding outward supply or with the additional duty of customs paid shall, subject to the provisions of section 16, be finally accepted and such acceptance shall be communicated, in the manner as may be prescribed, to the recipient.
(3) Where the input tax credit claimed by a recipient in respect of an inward supply is in excess of the tax declared by the supplier for the same supply or the outward supply is not declared by the supplier in his valid returns, the discrepancy shall be communicated to both such persons in the manner as may be prescribed.
(4) The duplication of claims of input tax credit shall be communicated to the recipient in the manner as may be prescribed.
(5) The amount in respect of which any discrepancy is communicated under sub-section (3) and which is not rectified by the supplier in his valid return for the month in which discrepancy is communicated shall be added to the output tax liability of the recipient, in the manner as may be prescribed, in his return for the month succeeding the month in which the discrepancy is communicated.
(6) The amount claimed as input tax credit that is found to be in excess on account of duplication of claims shall be added to the output tax liability of the recipient in his return for the month in which the duplication is communicated.
(7) The recipient shall be eligible to reduce, from his output tax liability, the amount added under sub-section (5) if the supplier declares the details of the invoice and/or debit note in his valid return within the time specified in sub-section (7) of section 27.
(8) A recipient in whose output tax liability any amount has been added under subsection (5) or, as the case may be, under sub-section (6), shall be liable to pay interest at the rate specified under sub-section (1) of section 36 on the amount so added from the date of availing of credit till the corresponding additions are made under the said sub-sections.
(9) Where any reduction in output tax liability is accepted under sub-section (7), the interest paid under sub-section (8) shall be refunded to the recipient by crediting the amount in the corresponding head of his electronic cash ledger in the manner as may be prescribed: Provided that the amount of interest to be credited in any case shall not exceed the amount of interest paid by the supplier.
(10) The amount reduced from the output tax liability in contravention of the provisions of sub-section (7) shall be added to the output tax liability of the recipient in his return for the month in which such contravention takes place and such recipient shall be liable to pay interest on the amount so added at the rate specified in sub-section (3) of section 36.