(1) Where the taxable person is unable to determine the value of goods and/or services or determine the rate of tax applicable thereto, he may request the proper officer in writing giving reasons for payment of tax on a provisional basis and the proper officer may pass an order allowing payment of tax on provisional basis at such rate or on such value as may be specified by him.
(2) The payment of tax on provisional basis may be allowed, if the taxable person executes a bond in such form as may be prescribed in this behalf, and with such surety or security as the proper officer may deem fit, binding the taxable person for payment of the difference between the amount of tax as may be finally assessed and the amount of tax provisionally assessed.
(3) The proper officer shall, within a period not exceeding six months from the date of the communication of the order issued under sub-section (1), pass the final assessment order after taking into account such information as may be required for finalizing the assessment:
Provided that the period specified in this sub-section may, on sufficient cause being shown and for reasons to be recorded in writing, be extended by the Joint/Additional Commissioner for a further period not exceeding six months and by the Commissioner for such further period as he may deem fit.
(4) The taxable person shall be liable to pay interest on any amount payable to the Central/State Government, consequent to the order for final assessment under subsection (3), at the rate specified under sub-section (1) of section 36, from the first day after the due date of payment of tax in respect of the said goods and/or services till the date of actual payment, whether such amount is paid before or after the issue of order for final assessment.
(5) Where the taxable person is entitled to a refund consequent to the order for final assessment under sub-section (3), subject to sub-section (6) of section 38, interest shall be paid on such refund as provided in section 39.